Hearty Hamburger Soup
Author: Allen Prunty
A rich hearty soup that is not too expensive to make, and will please your taste buds with it's simplicity.
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 carrots, minced
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- ½ cup barley
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 3 (10 ounce) cans beef broth or 2½ cups more water and equivalent beef bullion cubes
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat, and crumble in the ground beef. Cook and stir until the beef is evenly browned and no longer pink. Drain well, and discard any excess grease.
- Stir in the onion, carrots, celery, and barley. Pour in diced tomatoes, water, broth, and tomato soup. Season with bay leaf, parsley, garlic, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cover; simmer for 2 hours, stirring frequently. Remove bay leaf before serving.